Tuesday, July 04, 2006

My Five-Day Dog Bless America Holiday Weekend

Fourth of July gave me a 5-day weekend because I took Friday off to watch Italy kicking Ukarine's ass. Thanks to this long weekend, I am able to watch all the games LIVE. So I went to Wal-Mart Sunday and returned the piece of crap VCR which cost me 40 bucks. It feels so good to rip off big companies(or just ripping off anybody?). That forty dollars could be used to buy Criterion Collection DVD of Yasujiro Ozu's "Floating Weeds". Ozu is one of the greatest and that Criterion cover looks really nice.

Speaking of Criterion Collection, I just bought Wong Kar-Wai's "In The Mood For Love" from deepdiscountdvd.com and I'm still waiting for it from the mail. I wanted to pick it for the weekly movie night I have with my friends. One of the stupid reasons I wanna pick it is because the film was partially shot in my hometown Macau. Another movie I wanna pick is Shohei Imamura's The Eel.

That's pretty much how my long weekend was spent. Movies and World Cup games. I watched "Hana-bi"(for the second time), "Shoot The Piano Player", "Loves of A Blonde", 'Lady Vengeance" (in theater), "Stolen Kisses" (second time), Dr. Strangelove... and I shall watch "The Fireman's Ball" before I go to bed.

I'm so happy Italy is going to the Final. All I can wish is Portugal will go through tomorrow. Italy vs. Portugal, my predicted showdown since the beginning, my dream matchup. But it would be a pain for me to choose which side to root for. But for now, Here's my World Cup 2006 Best 11:

GK Ricardo (Portugal)
DF Fabio Cannavaro (Italy)
DF Grosso (Italy)
DF Miguel (Portugal)
DF Lahm (Germany)
MF Pirlo (Italy)
MF David Beckham (England)
MF Luis Figo (Portugal)
MF Riquelme (Argentina)
MF Vieira (France)
FW Klose (Germany)

It's hard to choose between Portugal's Ricardo and Italy's Buffon. Both of them have been great but I chose Ricardo because he does not have Cannavaro to help him on defense. I don't like Beckham, but I have to give him credit for lifting the English team. I only picked one forward because none of them had great performance. Afterall, this World Cup has the least goals in the history of the game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What day / time (Houston time) is the final? Where do you plan on watching it?