Friday, May 19, 2006

Weekend at Austin

I spent my last weekend (5/13) in Austin. Overall, I had a good time. It was good to take a day off, which was a first for me in 2006. I spent most of my time hanging out with my sister and my friend Andy. I have not seen them both for quite a while.

After my sister's non-stop complaining of the length of my hair (from the time I stepped into her house), I asked Andy to cut my hair in order to keep her quiet. I still remember that days when I was still in college and Andy would cut the hair of me and our friends because we were cheap ass bastards. He always does a decent job (hey, it's free. I have no complaints). As much as I like Austin, it always reminds me of the past, for better and for worse. It is a melancholy feeling-- to think about the good memories that are gone. But more important is I treasure what I am and what I have now.

Seeing my sister in college reminded me that I am not that kid in college anymore. I am a much different person now. I recognized how much I have grown all these years. It is a good thing that I am not stuck in a stage whereas there is no growth or learning. I can't imagine (or accept) to live a life without learning and growing everyday. I hope I'll keep it up with myself.

I finally visited Waterloo Records. When I used to live in Austin, I never went there because 33 degrees (now closed) was right by my home (i didn't have a car) and 33 was a very independent/underground record store (the kind that you won't find Coldplay but definitely Acid Mother Temple). Anyway, Waterloo is kind of cool because they have a big ass collection of indie/rock vinyls and t-shirts. It was like a candy shop for me (not the kind of candy shop 50 Cent goes). All the money I saved by cooking at home was flushed down at waterloo after buying numerous records-- a couple Bob Dylan, be your own PET (imported from UK! hard to find), Entroducing...(which i longed to buy), Sea Change and more... I'm glad I'm not living in Austin anymore, or I'll go bankrupt soon.

No comments: