Thursday, April 20, 2006

Age is just a three-letter word?

Ageism.

Prejudice and oppression existed against old people (hmm, "“seniors", I mean) in our society. Stereotypes like slow, senile, weak are often associated with elderly people.

On the other side of the spectrum, young people could be treated unfairly because of their age, too.

At the age of 24, I feel I don'’t get respect from some people just because I am young (relatively speaking). People probably won'’t admit it, so I guess it is easier to find some other excuses to cast their doubts on me. Growing up in my own culture whereas seniority is highly valued, I always felt it was easy to dismiss because I was a kid or I was just young.

Things aren'’t that radically different in America. My relatively young age let some to easily conclude that I don't really know much about anything. Like I just said, people probably made some other excuses rather than being outright ageist (same dynamic with any other forms of oppression). It's easier to pick on me for talking funny, looking funny or acting funny.

Yeah, even though I'’m the one who'’s in the position of power. Possibly, people feel more difficult to listen to someone half their age.

Hey, I don't even want to be in charge. But some assholes just keep making life difficult for me. (At the same time, I'm grateful for the faith and trust of those who know me.)

Keep dissing me as long as you like. I'’ll let my actions speak for me. Frankly, people's biases and prejudices stem from their own insecurities and its roots has nothing to do with me.

Your stupidity will be the fuel of my motivation.

No comments: